Thursday, March 19, 2009

Awake

The road slowly curves to the left, revealing yet another corn field. The moon is low on the horizon, I’m heading west, like so many others before. If I look back, I can see the first glimpse of a sunrise. I have been driving since before the last sunset. Yesterday seems so distant now. I can’t sleep, not that I don’t want to, nor that my body does not want to sleep, my heart just wants to head west more.

My eyes are heavy, the road just a long stretch of darkness. I can’t see stars in the sky anymore. However last night I was the one shooting through the darkness, trying to fulfill a wish. How many miles to go? How much distance have I covered? I’m still driving, it wasn’t far enough. The curve has ended and I am back on a long stretch of straight road. I see the signs of a town in the distance, I don’t know its name, I just know it isn’t the right one. So I will drive past it, just like many others. The people sleeping peacefully will never know of my mission.

My gas tank is halfway empty. It will have to last me a while. I’m almost there; soon I will be able to rest. But for now I drive. Because I must, because I can, because if I wasn’t, I would still not be able to sleep. I don’t know if I’ll make it in time, but I can’t stop. If I stop, all of this will have been in vain. I see another city in the distance, the right one, the wrong one? I don’t know anymore, I’m driving, that is all I can know anymore.

The road curves again, I don’t see it at first, but I eventually notice it. The shock wakes me up completely. I will be okay for another hour or so, then, I’ll be able to stop. The city that was in the distance is now a thing of the past. I must keep driving, I can’t sleep. I have to drive. I can’t…

[This one was basically going through the motions. Sorry, life is getting in the way of my writing.]

No comments:

Post a Comment